Mary is both a Licensed Counselor and Licensed Body-Worker in the state of Ohio. The primary modality she uses is Somatic Experiencing (SE) and SE Touch. She is a Somatic Experiencing Practitioner with Post-Advanced Masters Series Level Training and Assisting with Peter Levine. Mary has coordinated and assists Somatic Experiencing trainings and is an SE consult provider and student session provider at all levels. Also, trained in working with Early Developmental Trauma with Kathy Kain, Steve Terrell and in DARe. See specifics below.
- Completed Somatic Experiencing Certification, Fall 2010
- Somatic Experiencing Master Level Class Series with Peter Levine:
- Emotions, Memory & Trauma, October 2012
- Advanced Body-work: Complex Syndromes & Polyvagal Theory, April 2013
- Eye of the Needle: Working with Near Death and Anesthesia States, February 2014
- Psychology of the Body - Body Reading & Developmental Trauma, at Kripalu. Assistant, October, 2016
- Shame and Pride, at Kripalu. October 2018.
SE Post Certification Training
Advanced Touch Training
- Somatic Resilience and Regulation: Early Trauma: Modules I , II & III with Kathy L. Kain & Stephen Terrell, PsyD, SEP: A somatic approach to supporting recovery from early developmental trauma. 2016-2017
- CST Releasing the Face, Mouth & TMJ with Ken DiPersio KJD Therapy, October 2015
- Alchemical Alignment with Brigit Viksnins: Assistant, 2013
- Certification in Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy with Gary Peterson, Fall 2009
- BCST Post Certification Course Working with Viscera: Heart and Lungs with Gary Peterson, October 2009
- Concussions and PTSD with Dave Berger, Chicago, Il., April 2017
- BASE - Body Work and Somatic Education. With Dave Berger. Columbus, Ohio. Currently training 2018.
SE Student Session Provider - SE Consult Provider - SE Assistant
- Approved SE Personal Session Provider: Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced Levels
- Approved SE Individual Consult Provider: Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced Levels
- Approved SE Small Group Consult Provider: Beginning Level only
- SE Assistant: Beginning, Intermediate, Advanced & Master level training.
- Coordinated first SE training in Ohio 2014.
- Lead Assistant SE training Yellow Springs, Ohio 2016 & 2018.
- Assisting Team Perth Australia, Fall 2016.
NeuroAffective Relational Model, NARM, with Brad Kammer. Co-coordinating and participating in NARM 6-module Practitioner training beginning March, 2017. Columbus, Ohio.
DARe - Dynamic Attachment Repatterning Experience
- DARe I: Healing Early Attachment Wounds & Embracing the Authentic Self. Cincinnati, Ohio, March, 2013
- DARe I: Healing Early Attachment Wounds & Embracing the Authentic Self. Cincinnati, Ohio, Assistant, June, 2013
- DARe I: Healing Early Attachment Wounds & Embracing the Authentic Self. Santa Fe, NM, Assistant, September, 2013
- DARe II: Creating Healthy Adult Relationships. Cincinnati, Ohio, October, 2013
- DARe III: The Neurobiology of Loving Relationships. Cincinnati, Ohio, April, 2014
- DARe I: Healing Early Attachment Wounds & Embracing the Authentic Self. Charlottesville, Va., Assistant, May, 2014
- DARe IV: Wellness: Working with Victim/Perpetrator Dynamics and Disorganized Attachment. Completed DVD.
Mary began doing transforming work with people in 1998 as a certified IMPACT instructor for a full impact self defense program, IMPACT Safety Programs formerly Fight Back Of Central Ohio. A 24 hour training in which she taught people to break free from the freeze response and physically defend themselves. To become certified to teach she embarked on a 3 week intensive training with Bay Area Model Mugging in San Francisco California followed by a year long apprenticeship with IMPACT of Ohio focusing on the repercussions of rape, assault and oppression.
Mary became fascinated with the nervous system, the fight flight response, how it is affected by intense experiences, anxiety and fear. The training and experience gave Mary the knowledge and tools to work with people who had been traumatized and how to safely facilitate students to transform their experience into empowerment and choice through physical movement, finding and using their voice and facilitated group support.
During this time she began to study Polarity Therapy. This brought her fascination deeper into the body and energy systems, broadening her understanding of how people get stuck on many levels as a result of life experience and their response to it. This led Mary to go to Massage School to understand more about the body, the physiology, the nervous system, anatomy, how it all works together. She became a Licensed Massage Therapist by the State of Ohio Medical Board in 2004 and earned Neuromuscular Therapy Myofascial Release Certification in 2005.
In January of 2006 Mary went to a 5 day workshop that introduced her to STR, Somatic Trauma Resolution. She could hardly contain her excitement that a training had been developed on how to work with people individually, that was specifically addressing frozen defense responses and truncated responses in the body. A way of working with clients that empowers them to engage fully, consciously to release where they are stuck, build resiliency and gain skills to take into their daily life with full awareness of their own process. This training was based in part on SE and BCST. After completing the STR training she soon after began the SE and BSCT trainings. STR left her very skilled and with more questions. She wanted to understand more about trauma and what happens in the body. The subsequent trainings, SE and BCST, answered all those questions.
Mary is committed to continued study and training in her field, to broaden and refine the base from which she works. She completed her certification in Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy with Gary Peterson in 2009, and completed Somatic Experiencing Certification in 2010 and continues to do Post-Advanced Masters Series Training and Assisting with Peter Levine as well as coordinating and assisting Somatic Experiencing trainings. She completed a Master's degree In Education in Clinical Counseling at The Ohio University and is licensed in the State of Ohio as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor.
Working with attachment developmental trauma is her current learning edge. She started with DARe, studying and assisting in 2013. Most recently in training with Kathy Kain and Stephen Terrell as well as coordinating and participating in The NeuroAffective Relational Model, NARM Practitioner training, a somatic model of healing developmental trauma, with Brad Kammer in her hometown of Columbus, Ohio 2017-2018!!
Also important to Mary is utilizing supervision and regularly engaging in her own personal process.